I spent a lot of time as a young child with both sets of my grandparents. My maternal grandparents have passed on to Heaven. There isn’t much left of their belongings due to the fact that once my grandfather passed in 1998, my grandmother moved around until she settled into a room at a memory care unit. Most of her items were pillaged through and divided; a lot of things were also discarded. She did, however, keep some pieces of furniture in her dormitory style room, so that she could feel as “at home” as possible. When she passed way in October what remained from her limited furniture was divided again for the last time. My cousin took some pieces as well as my brother and mom.

I took the straw bench that has nestled its way in a corner of every home that my grandparents lived in while I grew up. It sat in my garage until after Christmas. I knew when I acquired the bench there were some other pressing craft projects that were to be completed before it. I took my time shopping for fabrics and paints. I knew this bench had the potential to look dashing.

This is what it looked like finished. Looks good if I do say so myself.

Here it is placed in the house.

I posted with www.skiptomylou.org on 4.19.10
3 comments:
Stopping by from Made By You Monday. Great job on the bench!
It's beautiful! What a great way to honor your grandmother.
Wow, it turned out beautifully!
Autumn
TheFickleHobbyist.com
Post a Comment